Welcome to Kiev - the capital of Ukraine.
Jews have been living here since 8th century. Jews Jews have made an invaluable contribution to the development of this city.
Over the years, Kiev was home to Jewish scholars and Rabbis, writers and Zionists, business, cultural and political leaders. The most notable Jews artists - the members of well-known "Culture League" lived and worked here.
Kiev Jewish community has experienced the times of amazing prosperity and tragic devastation.
I will take you to the streets and squares of Ukrainian's capital to speak about the history and heritage of Kiev Jews.
Some of the issues we are going to discuss:
· Why a celebrated traveler of the 12th century Rabbi Benjamin of Tudela called Kiev a "great city"?
· What caused the Jewish pogroms of Bogdan Khmelnitsky and why is his monument located in the center of modern Kiev?
· What made Kiev so attractive to Jews over the centuries?
· Sugar, wine, timber - what else turned Kiev Jews into billionaires?
· "Beilis case" – the blood libel of 20th century.
· The extermination of Kiev Jews - from the pogroms of Civil War to Babin Yar.
· Soviet fight against the memory of Holocaust in Kiev.
· Kiev Jewish Community in the Independent Ukraine.